Compare Quotes in 2 Minutes
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Citizens Insurance in Detroit – How it Works
Several different companies in the U.S. are named or at least popularly associated with Citizens. One of the most notable is Citizens Property Insurance Corporations in Detroit, a government-owned non-profit insurance company that underwrites homeowners insurance policies in Florida and Louisiana. It is, in fact, a leading provider of both personal and commercial properties in the USA. Besides providing its services in Detroit, Citizens homeowners insurance is also available in Florida and now Texas.
This parent company is one of the top 25 property and casualty insurance providers in the United States. It has been doing its business for more than 160 years, providing a broad range of insurance products worldwide. In Detroit, besides parenting the citizen’s property and casualty insurance, the company has more than a dozen subsidiaries, including some in the financial industry. As evidence of its broad scope of business and international reputation, the company also underwrites business at Lloyd’s of London in various business sectors, including property, energy, and marine.
Citizens Property Insurance has one of the organic varieties of coverage divided into three different packages, including Diamond, Diamond Select Plus, and Diamond Select Premium. Those packages can be expanded with various types of additional endorsements as well. While the limits and types of coverage can differ from state to state, the available options are more or less the same. Citizens insurance in Detroit, Michigan, provides a broad range of home insurance coverage as briefly outlined below.
1. Diamond Package
The basic types of coverage provided by Citizen Insurance Company is included in the Diamond Package:
- Waiver of Deductible: If a single loss to your property affects other things such as a car, boat, or another home, only the highest policy deductible will apply. Other policies with less deductible are entirely waived. However, it applies when the loss to that policy does exceed the allowable.
- Fire Extinguisher Replacement or Recharge: if you use your portable fire extinguisher to fight a fire in the insured property, Citizens Insurance will pay for a recharge or replacement. There is no deductible required for this coverage.
- Mortgage Extra Expense Coverage: If a total loss occurs, this coverage provides reimbursement to replace the property. If a new mortgage is required, with a higher interest, the additional interest is covered, including up to $1,000 for application fees, appraisals, and title. There is no deductible required.
- Siding and Roofing Restoration: if the roofing or siding is damaged only to a particular portion (not all parts are damaged), the company covers the cost to replace the whole part. The amount of coverage reaches up to $20,000.
- Extended Dwelling Replacement Cost: it covers losses up to 125 percent of the policy’s limit. Some benefits of this coverage include the probability of getting materials of comparable quality to your previous property. It also makes sure to cover the increased cost of material of labor.
- Personal Property Replacement Cost: this coverage provides replacement cost for destroyed, stolen, or damaged personal property. It does not take the property’s condition or age (depreciation) into account.
- Food Products: due to loss of power, the company will even cover food products stored in the freezer.
- Lock Replacements: in the unfortunate events that your keys are stolen, it includes the replacement cost of external locks replacement.
2. Diamond Select Plus
Apart from the basic Diamond Package, Citizens home insurance also provides a complete range of coverage included in Diamond Select Plus. This package includes all types of financial protection from the Diamond Package, but it adds the following:
- Extended Dwelling Replacement Cost reaches up to 150 percent of the policy’s limit.
- Water Backup and Sump Overflow: it covers property losses caused by water backing up through drains or sewers. Damages caused by sump overflows are also covered. The coverage reaches up to $10,000.
- Personal Injury: it includes the cost related to personal injuries. The financial protection also includes lawsuits, lawyer’s fees, and even time off from work.
- Identity Fraud: the expense as a result of identity fraud is covered. It may include mailing cost, document duplication, and all legal fees involved in the process.
3. Diamond Select Premium
The best package available from Citizens Insurance in Detroit is bundled in Diamond Select Package. It has everything from the previous two packages, and two more benefits, including Water Backup and Sump Overflows Coverage of up to $25,000 and removal of the deductible when property loss exceeds $50,000. Besides those two additional benefits, Diamond Select Package also includes a Special Personal Property coverage protecting all but specifically named perils or causes, such as smog, rust, freezing, and pollutants. It even incorporates three more conditions including:
- Breaking fragile items that are not covered in a standard policy
- Lost jewelry such as watches, silverware, furs, and more
- Damages caused by non-earthquake earth movement
Depending on your needs, a Citizens insurance quote can add some extra coverage or endorsements. The support may include a breakdown of household equipment. It guarantees replacement cost after a total loss of assisted living care and a stand-alone Water Backup and Sump Overflows coverage that exceeds the limit mentioned in any of the packages mentioned above. Moreover, Citizens Insurance also offers some discounts with comfortable eligibility requirements, such as non-smokers, installed safety or security devices, group discounts, newer home credit, and account credit.